I was born into a traditional family. My parents have been married for almost twenty-five years. I have not had to suffer through being seen as a child of a “failed" marriage or having to become part of a blended family. I guess I would say that I was privileged growing up. I was able to live with both my mom and my dad.
In society today, there are many marriages that are ending in divorce. Children have to decide which parent they want to permanently live with. People move on and blended families are formed but their past marriage stays with them. In the article Stone Soup by Barbara Kingsolver, the main character admires a blended family and wonders why such a loving family could still be seen as “failed." When couples get a divorce, no matter the reason, they are still seen as having a “failed” marriage. Even after being happily remarried they are still known for having one “failed” marriage. They can never get rid of their baggage. Another theme we have seen in American society is blended families, which are created because of divorces; they are two families coming together. The most famous blended family was the Brady Bunch. Even after thirty they are still a popular television family. Most blended families are not as popular as the Brady Bunch. Even though blended families are just as happy as any traditional families, people still look down on them. They are seen as less functional then traditional families. Blended families consist of everything a traditional has: mom, dad, and children. There is no difference but still they are looked down upon.
